Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Lousie Barker - Fiber Art and Jewelry - The Purple Pomegranate




The Purple Pomegranate, a fine craft specialty store, is featuring work by Kalispell artist, Louise Barker during the month of August. Louise’s perspective on “art to wear” incorporates unusual techniques that are organic and make a statement. We express ourselves by what we wear.  This statement has always been at the core of Louise’s art.  Her involvement with fiber has evolved over the past 30 years, working in many facets of surface design.  Her latest direction involves using metal to create imprints on fabric.  “I love seeing the unexpected results that happen when you cannot have complete control over a substance or process”, she states.  Louise’s nation-wide customer base enjoys luxurious wearables that are influenced by the Montana landscape and are timeless in design.    

Louise has always been drawn to the creative process. "Growing up on a small mid-western farm taught me resourcefulness. My father was fearless in using material immediately at hand to repair, upgrade and beautify his life. His creative problem solving skills showed me to rethink the materials around me in a new way. My parents love and respect for the land have given me the precious gift of not taking my surroundings for granted. Montana spoke to me when I was only 19. I never tire of the way the alpenglow briefly casts its spectacular robe of pinks and purples across the mountain tops. When I create, I try to allow my materials to speak for themselves. My sense of design is tactile and organic. My goal is to marry a balance of sophistication with a sense of nature."

Meet Louise during Whitefish Gallery Night, Thursday, August 2, 2012 from 6-9 PM. Louise's work will be displayed during the opening and throughout the month of August.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. We'd love to hear what you have to say about our artists and Whitefish Gallery Nights.